Breakdown
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeSearchLatest imagesYoutubeRegisterLog in

Photobucket
Pokemon Showdown!
Support Breakdown by clicking below

Amoonguss [Standard]

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
Frost
Sableye Tier
Sableye Tier
Frost

Rep : 50

Amoonguss [Standard]  Empty
PostSubject: Amoonguss [Standard]    Amoonguss [Standard]  EmptyWed Aug 29, 2012 2:50 am

AmoongussMushroom Pokemon
Regenerator
Amoonguss [Standard]  591
2xAmoonguss [Standard]  FireIC_BigAmoonguss [Standard]  IceIC_BigAmoonguss [Standard]  FlyingIC_BigAmoonguss [Standard]  PsychicIC_Big
1xAmoonguss [Standard]  NormalIC_BigAmoonguss [Standard]  PoisonIC_BigAmoonguss [Standard]  GroundIC_BigAmoonguss [Standard]  BugIC_BigAmoonguss [Standard]  RockIC_Big
---Amoonguss [Standard]  GhostIC_BigAmoonguss [Standard]  DragonIC_BigAmoonguss [Standard]  DarkIC_BigAmoonguss [Standard]  SteelIC_Big
0.5xAmoonguss [Standard]  WaterIC_BigAmoonguss [Standard]  ElectricIC_BigAmoonguss [Standard]  FightingIC_Big
0.25xAmoonguss [Standard]  GrassIC_Big
HP114338-442
Atk85157-295
Def70130-262
SpA85157-295
SpD80148-284
Spe3058-174
Amoonguss [Standard]  GrassIC_BigAmoonguss [Standard]  PoisonIC_Big
Effect Spore
---
Overview
Amoonguss is a tragically underestimated Pokemon. One would have to wonder why something with good defensive stats, high HP, Spore AND re-generator can be overlooked so easily. Nonetheless, Amoonguss has all the tools it needs to be an effective wall on almost any team. It's commonly underestimated, so more often than not it can wreak havoc on unsuspecting teams, putting their hard hitters and sweepers to sleep after tanking their attacks. One thing is for sure, Amoonguss will always surprise you and your opponent with its impressive bulk.

Sets

SporeTank
Breakdown (Amoonguss) (M) @ Black Sludge
Trait: Regenerator
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 SDef
Calm Nature (+SDef, -Atk)
- Spore
- Giga Drain
- Clear Smog
- Hidden Power [Ice]
This is probably your best option for using Amoonguss in Standard. The EV's for defense/spdef are interchangeable, however Amoonguss's weaknesses are more commonly found as special attacks, so keep that in mind. The wonderful thing about this set is that it's incredibly hard to kill this thing. Aside from Psyshock, there really isn't any unboosted (meaning via a stat raising item or move, i.e. life orb) special hit in this tier that can kill Amoonguss. This means that more often than not, Amoonguss can stay in on a threat, unexpectedly survive, spore, and switch out to regain health. For its other moves, Giga Drain is your basic stab. While its damage is less than impressive, it can be used to wear down most sleeping foes while helping Amoonguss recover from damage faster. Clear Smog can be used to stop setups in their tracks. It especially comes in handy for Gyarados. Hp ice generally rounds this set off nicely. It can be used to effectively deal with most Gliscor, or Dragonite with its punishing 4x effective damage.

SunSpore
Breakdown (Amoonguss) (M) @ Black Sludge
Trait: Regenerator
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 SDef
Calm Nature (+SDef, -Atk)
- Spore
- SolarBeam
- Synthesis
- Hidden Power [Ice]
This Amoonguss is slightly different from the last, in that it depends on the sun. The only real differences are that Clear Smog has been taken out in favor of Solar Beam, and Giga Drain has been replaced by Synthesis as a more reliable recovery move. Solar Beam can function as a fairly powerful stab, although Amoonguss's primary focus is as a wall so don't expect too much damage. Synthesis will restore massive amounts of Amoonguss's hp. Since Amoonguss gains 2/3 hp from Synthesis in sun, and 1/3 hp from re-generator, it can easily replenish massive amounts of health so long as the sun is out, making it a very effective wall. The only downside is that the sun will also boost any of the opponents fire moves, which can limit Amoonguss's ability to take on fire types like Heatran, which it could normally live hits from easily. You can also go with Fire as your Hidden Power option. Its damage will be boosted by the sun so it can be used to protect against Scizor and stop Ferrothorn from laying down hazards while you're out. Although once again, be wary of Heatran. If it comes in for a flash fire boost while in the sun, it won't be pretty. Be warned, this set will be severely crippled without the sun. It can still be used for spore and walling, but it will be largely unable to defend itself. If you don't want to risk weather wars, stick with the first set.

Still doubting Amoonguss's walling potential?
Spoiler:
Checks and Counters
At the very top of the list of things Amoonguss has to fear is Espeon. It can come in and reflect Spore right back at it, and easily ohko with Psyshock. Xatu is another annoyance. HP ice only does mediocre damage to it, and it's further reduced after Xatu Roosts. Alakazam can also deal severe damage with Psychic, and OHKO with Psyshock as well. Ordinarily Gliscor is not a problem for Amoonguss, but the Acrobatics variety is a major threat. Both forms of Tornadus can OHKO Amoonguss with Choise Specs Hurricane, but otherwise will have to worry about Spore and hp ice. Gengar will often use Amoonguss as easy setup fodder for subs, but Amoonguss can carry Payback to ward it off. Volcarona can try to use Amoonguss as setupfodder as well, but will have to watch out for Spore and Clear Smog. Although it can do sizeable damage to Amoonguss without Quiver Dance, so be wary about staying in unless absolutely necessary. Sub Heatran stops Amoonguss cold. Not only can it not be hit with Spore, but Amoonguss is also incapable of breaking its subs. Toxicroak can be a huge pain for Amoonguss for the exact same reasons. Not only that, but it can also setup Swords Dance too.
Teammates
Dark types like Scrafty and Hydreigon can take psychic hits for Amoonguss, and scare off their users with powerful stabs. Chandelure can not only take Fire hits for Amoonguss, but its powerful Shadow Ball can also deal with psychics. Heatran and Scizor resist several of Amoonguss's weaknesses, with the former having good bulk, making them excellent teammates. Jellicent and Amoonguss also compliment each other nicely, although both are better suited to special walling.

Last edited by Frost on Fri Sep 14, 2012 7:59 pm; edited 14 times in total
Back to top Go down
steel dragons
Arceus Tier
Arceus Tier
steel dragons

Rep : 32

PostSubject: Re: Amoonguss [Standard]    Amoonguss [Standard]  EmptyWed Aug 29, 2012 1:36 pm

Nice job Frost. If you want me to, I can make the chart if needed.

For the first set, I would include Hidden Power Fire in there somewhere. The thing with that set is that it can't do much to Steel-typed Pokemon. While not doing much damage anyway, Hidden Power fire can help against Pokemon like Scizor and Ferrothorn who otherwise laugh at Amoonguss' attacks. I think that it should also be included on the second set, since Amoonguss will be using sun and Hidden Power fire will be boosted by sun.

In the checks and counters section, you should re-word the portion about Volcarona, as the second sentence doesn't make sense grammatically.

In the teammates section, I would include Scizor in it as well. Scizor resists half of Amoonguss' weaknesses, and it can use Bullet Punch to dent, if not KO, many of Amoonguss' counters.

Again, nice job; I would just change those few things.

Back to top Go down
Frost
Sableye Tier
Sableye Tier
Frost

PostSubject: Re: Amoonguss [Standard]    Amoonguss [Standard]  EmptyWed Aug 29, 2012 2:35 pm

Sorry about the grammar XD

I haven't read over it myself yet. Also thanks for the suggestions! For this one I need all I can get.
Back to top Go down
Frost
Sableye Tier
Sableye Tier
Frost

PostSubject: Re: Amoonguss [Standard]    Amoonguss [Standard]  EmptyFri Aug 31, 2012 9:34 am

Oh and concerning your offer about charts, you can answer requests in the table repository if you like. Not that you're obligated of course.
Back to top Go down
steel dragons
Arceus Tier
Arceus Tier
steel dragons

PostSubject: Re: Amoonguss [Standard]    Amoonguss [Standard]  EmptyFri Aug 31, 2012 1:07 pm

Ok, I'll make the chart and look this over more-in-depth tonight.

EDIT: I'll be busy tonight, but I will do this soon; probably tomorrow sometime.
Back to top Go down
steel dragons
Arceus Tier
Arceus Tier
steel dragons

PostSubject: Re: Amoonguss [Standard]    Amoonguss [Standard]  EmptySat Sep 01, 2012 5:03 pm

Here is the chart:

AmoongussMushroom Pokemon
Regenerator
Amoonguss [Standard]  591
2xAmoonguss [Standard]  FireIC_BigAmoonguss [Standard]  IceIC_BigAmoonguss [Standard]  FlyingIC_BigAmoonguss [Standard]  PsychicIC_Big
1xAmoonguss [Standard]  NormalIC_BigAmoonguss [Standard]  PoisonIC_BigAmoonguss [Standard]  GroundIC_BigAmoonguss [Standard]  BugIC_BigAmoonguss [Standard]  RockIC_Big
---Amoonguss [Standard]  GhostIC_BigAmoonguss [Standard]  DragonIC_BigAmoonguss [Standard]  DarkIC_BigAmoonguss [Standard]  SteelIC_Big
0.5xAmoonguss [Standard]  WaterIC_BigAmoonguss [Standard]  ElectricIC_BigAmoonguss [Standard]  FightingIC_Big
0.25xAmoonguss [Standard]  GrassIC_BigAmoonguss [Standard]  PoisonIC_Big
HP114338-442
Atk85157-295
Def70130-262
SpA85157-295
SpD80148-284
Spe3058-174
Amoonguss [Standard]  GrassIC_Big
Effect Spore
---

Also, a few other things:

For the first set, it should have a Calm nature instead of the Sassy nature, as it just makes more sense. Also, you should have Hidden Power Fire listed for the first set. It comes down to éither hitting the dragons + Gliscor or hitting Steel Pokemon, and both options have their merits. For Hidden Power fire, it lets Amonguss deal with Scizor and Ferrothorn better, and Amoonguss would actually outspeed Ferrothorn.
Back to top Go down
Frost
Sableye Tier
Sableye Tier
Frost

PostSubject: Re: Amoonguss [Standard]    Amoonguss [Standard]  EmptySat Sep 01, 2012 8:12 pm

Hp fire just doesn't do enough outside of sun though :/ Both Scizor and Ferrothorn aren't OHKO'd without the sun boost. That means Ferrothorn will still get to lay down hazards, and Scizor can 2hko with Bullet Punch, making this option pointless on that set. Besides, Ferrothorn is sometimes less likely to come in on something it can't leech seed stall anyway, and it certainly won't appreciate being put to sleep. Being able to snipe Gliscor, Salamence, Landorus, and Dragonite for massive damage makes ice outweigh fire in this case. It's just not worth it without the sun. Not to mention if you don't have your own weather, you risk wasting an entire move when facing off against rain teams, as the already pitiful damage would now be halved.

As for the Speed investment, that was a mistake on my part. That was done for the Amoonguss I use to work against Reuniclus, because they have the same speed it meant that I had a chance to Spore it in Trick Room. So no it's no completely senseless, although I do think it's largely a negligible mistake. 30 base speed isn't going to get you anywhere, and as states above, without sun you aren't going to do enough to Ferrothorn. Nonetheless, I'll change it anyways.

Oh and thanks for making my chart. I appreciate the help :3
Back to top Go down
steel dragons
Arceus Tier
Arceus Tier
steel dragons

PostSubject: Re: Amoonguss [Standard]    Amoonguss [Standard]  EmptyWed Sep 05, 2012 10:31 am

Quote :
At the very top of the list of things Amoonguss has to fear is Espeon. It can come in and reflect your Spore right back at you, and easily ohko with Psyshock.

You should generally try to refer to things like this in the third person, as it isn't you who is sporing Pokemon, but Amoonguss who is sporing Pokemon. Also, you refer to everything else in that paragraph in the third person anyway, unless I missed somethng, so it just makes sense.

Quote :
Oh and thanks for making my chart. I appreciate the help :3

No problem.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Amoonguss [Standard]    Amoonguss [Standard]  Empty

Back to top Go down

Amoonguss [Standard]
Page 1 of 1