Breakdown
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeSearchLatest imagesYoutubeRegisterLog in

Photobucket
Pokemon Showdown!
Support Breakdown by clicking below

Salamence [Standard]

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
Black Panda
Meowth Tier
Meowth Tier

Rep : 2

Salamence [Standard] Empty
PostSubject: Salamence [Standard]   Salamence [Standard] EmptySun Jul 15, 2012 12:29 am

Hey guys, due to the incorrect formatting of my previous Salamence, I'm redoing it.

SalamenceDragon Pokémon
Moxie
Salamence [Standard] SalamenceAnalysis
4xSalamence [Standard] IceIC_Big
2xSalamence [Standard] DragonIC_BigSalamence [Standard] RockIC_Big
1xSalamence [Standard] GhostIC_BigSalamence [Standard] DarkIC_BigSalamence [Standard] FlyingIC_BigSalamence [Standard] SteelIC_Big
Salamence [Standard] NormalIC_BigSalamence [Standard] ElectricIC_BigSalamence [Standard] PsychicIC_BigSalamence [Standard] PoisonIC_Big
1/2xSalamence [Standard] FightingIC_BigSalamence [Standard] BugIC_BigSalamence [Standard] WaterIC_BigSalamence [Standard] FireIC_Big
1/4xSalamence [Standard] GrassIC_Big
0xSalamence [Standard] GroundIC_Big
HP95300-394
Atk135247-405
Def80148-284
SpA110202-350
SpD80148-284
Spe100184-328
Salamence [Standard] DragonIC_BigSalamence [Standard] FlyingIC_Big
Intimidate
---

Overview
Salamence was always a force in the previous generations, but got a new toy in Generation 5, Moxie. If used at the right time, Salamence becomes a force to be reckoned with in OU.

Sets

ScarfMence
Breakdown (Salamence) (M) @ Choice Scarf
Trait: Moxie
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spd
Jolly Nature (+Spd, -SAtk)
- Brick Break
- Outrage
- Earthquake
- Dragon Claw

Feast your eyes on what can be the most broken sweeper in the game when used correctly, the Scarfed MoxieMence.
It can tear teams apart, but on one EXTREMELY important condition: The opponent's Steel Type pokemon (if they have any) are down. It's simple: once the steel types are down, send him in on a weakened pokemon, click Outrage, and watch as you win as his attack becomes uncontrollable with Moxie. Earthquake/Brick Break are good for sending him in for one pokemon, then swapping back out.

D-Dance
Breakdown (Salamence) (M) @ Leftovers
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spd
Jolly Nature (+Spd, -SAtk)
- Dragon Dance
- Fire Fang
- Earthquake
- Dragon Claw

This set can pay off if used at the right time. The idea is to send out Salamence when you have an opponent using a move weak to Salamence or if it's stuck with one because of Choice Scarf and has to switch out. This gives you time to use a Dragon Dance to boost not only your speed, but ATTACK as well. After you get a D-Dance boost, you pretty much win.

MixMence
Breakdown (Salamence) (M) @ Life Orb
EVs: 64 Atk / 192 SAtk / 252 Spd
Naive Nature (+Spd, -SDef)
- Draco Meteor
- Outrage
- Earthquake
- Fire Blast

This set is actually quite useful. It's a bluff so people think that this is a physical attacker and send out Skarmory, when BOOM, you use Fire Blast and laugh at the demise of his Skarmory. This set is also useful in the sense that Salamence can use Draco Meteor to land a big hit, and then use Outrage for another one, like all mixed attackers.

Checks and Counters
Priority is always key to defeat Choice Scarf users, and it just so happens that Scizor and Lucario are half Steel type, resisting Outrage and defeating the ScarfMence. For D-Dance, you want to watch out for priority as well. For the MixMence, Scarves will always outspeed it, and Salamence will suffer a defeat.

Teammates
Anything with Flash Fire teammates are useful for Salamence because of the many people using Will-O-Wisp to try and stop it. Any support pokemon that can come in and use a Stealth Rock and maybe 1 Spikes will help Salamence be easier to bring in, as all of the opponent's pokemon in general will already be injured. Spinners and Magic Bouncers help Salamence lose less HP so it can set up a D-Dance for the D-Dance set.
Back to top Go down
steel dragons
Arceus Tier
Arceus Tier
steel dragons

Rep : 32

Salamence [Standard] Empty
PostSubject: Re: Salamence [Standard]   Salamence [Standard] EmptyMon Jul 23, 2012 5:59 pm

Ok, a few suggestions:

First, I would say more on the explanations, so that we can get more of a feel for what you're trying to say, as well as including information in general. For example, the 'Checks and Counters' and 'Teammates' sections both should include more information.

Now, for the sets themselves:

For the Scarf-Moxie set, Brick Break should be changed to Aqua Tail. Sure, I know that this probably hasn't been updated since BW2 has been released, but Aqua Tail is the superior option. Aqua Tail hits Gliscor and Balloon Heatran hard, gets a boost under rain, and also pairs well with Outrage. (Salamences' water, dragon, and ground moves get near perfect coverage, only being resisted by Shedinja if I'm not mistaken). Of course, Fire Blast also warrants consideration here, mainly to hit Ferrothorn and certain other Steel-typed Pokemon hard. I would put Aqua Tail ahead of Fire Blast though, and Fire Fang isn't worth the slot really.

For the 'D-Dance' set, I would put Life Orb and even Lum Berry ahead of Leftovers, as this salamence isn't exactly the defnition of bulky. I would also switch out Fire Fang for something else,because Fire Fang, again, just isn't that good. I would switch it for Fire Blast or Aqua Tail. I would put Fire Blast first here, mainly becuase you don't want Ferrothorn ruining your Salamences' sweep.

For the last set, I would change it to be more of a 'lure' set, as it would probably work better in some cases than the traditional 'MixMence' sets. For this kind of set, you should give Salamence either an Expert Belt or Lum Berry instead of Life Orb. Part of a lure is 'faking' your item, and if Salamence has a Life Orb, it isn't going to be faking anything. Also, many people expect Salamence to be carrying the choice scarf with Moxie, so again, running a item like the two I suggested will fool some people. Also, I would probably replace Draco Meteor with Dragon Claw, because of the Moxie boosts that Salamenmce will get, and for a more consistent option (Draco Meteor and Outrage aren't consistent options).

I hope that these suggestions helped you. What do you think about them?

Back to top Go down

Salamence [Standard]
Page 1 of 1