Standard Draft

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Immanency
Meowth Tier
Meowth Tier

Rep : 4

PostSubject: Standard Draft   Wed May 07, 2014 6:36 pm

Hey, all, I'm Immanency! I've played a lot of video games, and my two favorites are Pokemon (obviously) and Dota. My love for Dota comes a lot less with the gameplay and more with the draft phase of the game, where the two captains are engaged in a battle of wits with consequences that impact the rest of the players in the game. There's no way to perfectly simulate this with pokemon, but I've been thinking of a format which will incorporate some elements of the draft into the game.

To start the game, each player has 2 bans each, done in alternating order. I'll use a mock draft Invalid and I did on May 7 as an example:
Round 1 Bans:

Then, the draft goes to picking, and because Invalid banned last, Imma gets to pick first. We did it backwards in our draft, but switching the pick is definitely the correct way to do it, as it reduces the chance for a really cheap or OP pick to slip by without the opportunity to draft any counters or ban the monster. Also, the person who gets first pick for that round drafts one, then the opposing person drafts two, then the first person drafts one again.
Round 1 Picks:

The process then repeats three additional times. See example:
Round 2:

Round 3:

Round 4:

The final round will consist of one ban each and then one pick each. Example:
Round 5:

In a complete list, the order of picks and bans goes:
Full List:

The players will then have approximately 24 hours to build a team of 6 from the 9 Pokemon they have drafted. This is another opportunity to outwit your opponent, because of the mindgames involved with possible team compositions and strategies that the opponent can bring. For example, Invalid drafted 2 incredibly strong baton pass cores in the 4th round. I had to pick up Tyranitar and Gliscor as possible checks to this core in response, and left myself rather open to Terrakion.

I believe this format is highly skill-based, and rewards knowledge and teambuilding ability over copying a strong RMT from the forums or simply putting more time into testing and adjusting your team.

I'd be open to criticism about how the format runs as well as more testing opportunities with more people. Ideally, I'd like to set up a tournament at some point, but I'd need to see how the matches tend to run and to guage interest before I would start one. Thank you for reading!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Immanency
Meowth Tier
Meowth Tier

PostSubject: Re: Standard Draft   Wed May 07, 2014 6:58 pm

Invalid and I were also open to, for the last round of picks (bans would stay the same) blind picking 3 Pokemon you would want, and your opponent would select their choice for you to have.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/12YkbrJjDgU0YRF6CZE3fzMBMAP6uuSTDlosouggcBYo/edit#gid=653909731 - A Spreadsheet for Pokemon and Berries and stuff. PM me your email, or submit a form (linked on landing page) to add stuff!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Immanency
Meowth Tier
Meowth Tier

PostSubject: Re: Standard Draft   Sat May 10, 2014 4:20 pm

I'm going to write up a quick draft guide, to make the first draft a bit easier.

First, some tips:
1. It's a huge advantage to have someone to talk to, and you're free to do that, so for now, if you want to stream and talk to viewers or skype a friend, feel free to do all of that!
2. Think very critically about counters and counters to counters. It's important to have a lot of Pokemon's main counters memorized. For instance, if someone bans Aegislash and Heatran first round, you should ban either Charizard or Talonflame, because that's who they're looking to pick up. It's then vital for you to pick up common counters to both of these, because they pose huuuge threats.

To me, what sets apart an "S" tier pick is that it poses enormous threat to vast portions of Standard, and that it either requires little to no support or that a small amount of support turns it into a truly devastating force. "S" tier picks should be picked or banned before the end of the first round. Now, on to the "S" tier picks:

Aegislash - His movepool, versatility, ability, and raw poewr all combine in a way that allow him to force 50/50 (Perhaps 150/150 huehue) scenarios out of situations in which he should just be dead. Aegislash has no true counter due to Sacred Sword and Shadow Sneak going unresisted, and he can also run Shadow Claw, Iron Head, Shadow Ball, Flash Cannon, and Swords Dance. Luckily, his item is usually predictable... oh wait, it's not. He can run Life Orb, Leftovers, Weakness Policy, Occa Berry, Air Balloon... For this, Aegislash should be picked or banned in the first round. If Aegislash is open and you do not pick or ban him, your opponent WILL pick him up. He's just too strong.

Charizard - As Invalid described to me, Charizard has the "Boogeyman" moveset. Charizard Y his extremely hard on the special side, and can topple many special walls with a sun-boosted Fire Blast. Solarbeam adds to his coverage, allowing him to hit many Rock types. Finally, depending on your bans, you can run either Brick Break or Earthquake to hit Tyranitar or Heatran, two of his biggest threats. I think that's it... no, I forgot about his brother, Charizard X. See, Charizard X hits extremely hard on the physical side. Due to his defensive typing, he can be built as a tank, or fully offensive. He makes an excellent Dragon Dance user, his dual STABs go almost unresisted (Heatran, Azumarill, Carbink) and none of those can hit him particularly hard. After one Dragon Dance, he can one-shot most pokemon that don't resist Dragon Claw with that, and Flare Blitz hits the rest even harder. After two, it's game over unless you can wear him down by forcing him to use Flare Blitz or you have priority. In conclusion, Charizard X is extremely strong. Charizard Y is extremely strong. You should probably pick up Charizard if he's open.

Darkrai - Should probably not even be in Standard. He's a 125 speed Dark type with access to an 80% accurate Sleep move, and also Nasty Plot. In addition, his ability causes his opponents to take 12.5% for every turn in which he is in and they are asleep. Darkrai's ability to break through walls is unparalleled, and on a team with a very small amount of support, he can wipe the opposition quite easily. Since it is believed he will be booted from Standard in the next vote, if participants agree, Darkrai can be auto-banned.

Lucario-Mega - Truck this broken fucking Pokemon. Fix your fucking game, Game Freak. ADAPTABILITY? REEEEEALLY? Since it is believed he will be booted from Standard in the next vote, if participants agree, Lucario-Mega can be auto-banned.

Talonflame - Do you remember Gen IV Scizor? Talonflame is like BETTER Gen IV Scizor. Its only flaw is that it's weak to Stealth Rock, and you can work around that with having Rapid Spin and Defog. Talonflame is extremely strong and it definitely necessitates a first round pick or ban. Letting it drop too far is definitely a mistake, as a Talonflame will tear through an unprepared team. If your opponent gets Talonflame, it is important that you pick up one of the main counters to Talonflame (Heatran, Rotom-W, Rotom-H, Aegislash).

I'll make individual posts for "A" and "B" tier picks, and explain what each of them mean to me. Thank you for reading.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/12YkbrJjDgU0YRF6CZE3fzMBMAP6uuSTDlosouggcBYo/edit#gid=653909731 - A Spreadsheet for Pokemon and Berries and stuff. PM me your email, or submit a form (linked on landing page) to add stuff!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Immanency
Meowth Tier
Meowth Tier

PostSubject: Re: Standard Draft   Tue May 13, 2014 1:36 am

What sets apart an "A" tier pick are a couple of things. First, these are extremely strong pokemon, but they don't fit on to every single team. Many pokemon that are on this list are support pokemon, which don't necessarily fit onto every team but are still quite good. A+ pokemon function better than A pokemon, which function better than A- pokemon.

A+:

Azumarill: Azumarill's great defensive typing and incredibly hard hitting Huge Power Aqua Jet, Waterfall, Play Rough, Ice Punch, Superpower, and what have you, are all huge threats to many teams.

Deoxys-D: Very bulky and does its job incredibly efficiently. With access to Recover, only hard-hitting Bug, Ghost, or Dark moves will actually send it packing. It can Spike, Taunt, Mirror Coat, Stealth Rock, Toxic, Thunder Wave... Deo-D's got it all. Top tier support, extremely bulky.

Deoxys-S: Does what Deo-D can do, but twice as fast and with a much greater offensive presence in exchange for bulk. Deoxys-S can run a very strong LO set in addition to its support sets, making it a viable threat with its immensely powerful Psycho Boost.

Greninja: You all know why Greninja's so good. Base 122 speed, great movepool, great ability. Good mixed attacking stats. STAB Ice Beam that isn't weak to Stealth Rock. That's pretty nice.

Scizor: Perhaps I'm just getting lazy but come on, it's Scizor. One note: If you're going to run a bulky SD set, use Mega Scizor. Mega's far better at that than the other sets. Otherwise, it'll be doing its job inefficiently, and it's best to run a CB regular Scizor.

Thundurus-Incarnate: Thundurus stops baton pass COLD with priority Thunder Wave and Taunt. Thundurus can sweep teams with Nasty Plot. Thundurus can cripple almost any sweeper with Thunder Wave and then set up on them. Thundurus is so close to being an S tier pick, honestly.

A:

Excadrill: Excadrill's basic purpose is always the same, but the way it goes about it can be very different. Its basic purpose is to hit with powerful Earthquakes and to clear the field of hazards. Excadrill can run a lot of different items, which slightly transform his role in the team: Lefties, Life Orb, Choice Scarf, Choice Band, Assault Vest... It's very powerful.

Garchomp: Always a good sweeper, though with the advent of Greninja and Talonflame, he's become significantly weaker. He can definitely run a Mega set and surprise counters like Skarmory with a Fire Blast, or he can run Poison Jab to hit Togekiss. He has just as many options as ever, he simply has less space to fit in all of his options.

Gengar: Gengar's the shit, yo. Fairies made running a poison STAB good, and Ghost-Poison, with the steel nerfs, now has incredible coverage in Standard. Gengar, man. It's good. Tell your friends. Gengar. Yeah.

Gyarados: There are people who are good with Gyarados, and there are people who are not. I am not good with Gyarados. Many people are good with Gyarados. Gyarados has a degree of unpredictability which is vital to its success, and without a proper check, you can find yourself losing the game after two Dragon Dances.

Heatran: Heatran, yes, Heatran. Heatran, you check so many big threats, surely you'd be higher? No, the EQ weakness is just as noticeable as ever, and running Balloon to dodge the EQ comes at an even heavier price, because Talonflame can simply wear you down, and Charizards X and Y can break your balloon and then hit you with their Earthquake.

Keldeo: I love Keldeo. I think it's the best of the Musketeers. Great dual STAB, great typing, "good enough" movepool.. I love Keldeo. It's good. You should totally leave it open against me, though, for reasons... it uhm... ahhhhhh...

Landorus-Therian: The second best of the genies. Its physical bulk in combination with Intimidate and fighting resist can stop a lot of sweeps cold. It can run Knock Off, Stealth Rock, Protect, Toxic, and a lot of other options. Good on you, Landorus-T. Good on you.

Mawile: Welp, here's a pokemon that's extremely good but definitely far out of the meta on Breakdown. It has a huge attack stat with Huge Power, and good STABs. Movepool is pretty ok as well, with Elemental Fang coverage. Mega Mawile is definitely a threat.

Pinsir: Another pokemon that Breakdown's meta has left behind. Where does it go wrong? It goes wrong in not being Talonflame. With access to Swords Dance and a Steelbusting, high-BP coverage move, Pinsir is definitely good. Just Talonflame is better.

Terrakion: He's not as good as he used to be. And the biggest reason is Landorus-T... though he's actually much more checked by Aegislash. Talonflame can also kill him if he has -1 with priority Brave Bird. Finally, Scizor. Terrakion now requires a lot more support to win than in the previous generation, but it's ok. He'll find a way.

MORE TO COME I'M JUST EXHAUSTED
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Immanency
Meowth Tier
Meowth Tier

PostSubject: Re: Standard Draft   Tue Jan 06, 2015 1:50 pm

So this got a huge revamp from ORAS because of new Megas and new tutor moves and such, so here are some updates.

-Charizard is still top tier. Each Mega is slightly outclassed individually, but because we don't draft "Charizard Y" or "Charizard X" and instead draft "Charizard", he still has the Boogeyman moveset, and it's very difficult to check both CharX and CharY with the same pick.

-It was dumb to not have Greninja as S, lol. It's far too versatile, and it got even better with Gunk Shot and Low Kick.

-After every single round, Aegislash either won me the series or was banned first round. I'm considering a blanket ban on it. It does too much.

-Baton Pass is dumb.

-Most of the new Megas have very little surprise factor. The one that has the most potential is probably Metagross, since I've decided to straight up autoban Mence. There's no reason for it to exist. I can talk about the new Megas forever, I'll make a big new post about it. :]

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Standard Draft   

Back to top Go down

Standard Draft
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1